Thursday, January 9, 2014

Freezing Lemon Juice and Our Favorite Uses ~ Citrus Series


If you have read this blog for some time, then you may already know that we have an abundance of free citrus fruit during the winter season (thus the reason for this citrus series). Hating to waste anything, here is another way to use your lemons. Freeze your fresh squeezed juice in ice cube trays and try the following:

Homemaking Hint:  One cube = approx. 2 tbsp's of lemon juice

  • Simply thaw and use as lemon juice in your favorite cooking and dessert recipes.
  • Instead of buying commercially purchased Fruit Fresh, use lemon juice to keep your fruits from browning when freezing pie fillings and such. It is also helpful in treating fruits that are prone to browning for dehydrating and making fruit leathers. To make your own citric solution, simply add two cubes of lemon juice to every quart of water (stir until dissolved). Let your fruit soak in the solution for at least 5 minutes prior to draining (keep apples in liquid until you are ready to use them).
  • Use cubes to make a buttermilk or sour cream substitute. Drop one lemon juice cube into a glass measuring cup (let it thaw), add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the two-cup line and let sit five minutes. Use as much of this "buttermilk substitute" as your recipe calls for. 
  • Use your surplus in canning recipes when it calls for lemon juice (though I must add that the canning authorities claim you need to use commercially packaged lemon juice).
  • When the weather warms, place them in water as ice cubes to quench your thirst or make a batch of lemonade with them.
  • Add the lemon cubes to flavor and chill a pitcher of iced tea.

What do you do with your excess lemon juice?

13 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have free citrus fruit at your disposal. Freezing the juice is a great idea.
    We are buying lemons by the bag for my husband to dissolve kidney stones. Using just one large slice per day he has passed 2-6 stones each week for several months now. We figure this is saving him a lot of pain and down time in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I had read recently that lemon essential oil helped kidney stones… Even better is hearing someone with results (though using lemon juice)… Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great ideas. I am blessed to have lemons given to me almost every year. I have always frozen them in ice cube trays and used them for a lot of things. But you had some new ideas! I will give them all a try! Thanks for shearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've given me an idea! I have a box of oranges and I'm going to freeze the juice for using in the summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our neighbor gave us lemons again this year. I was wondering what to do with them. Last year I canned lemon ade concentrate. But no time this year for canning, Freezing sounds perfect; time to eat those make ahead casseroles to free up space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me! We also shared many other projects if you visit the "citrus series" links :)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! I was just sent a box of Meyer Lemons form a fellow blogger and appreciate all of these tips and uses! Thank you!
    (BTW-Popping over from From the Farm) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I always learn something new when I visit your blog.
    Thanks for posting over at Farmgirl Friday..
    Dolly of www.hibiscushouse1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinning this! I use lemon juice often but I've never thought to freeze it...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your idea and tips on freezing lemon juice. There is nothing like fresh lemons. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Send some of the citrus abundance my way! I would love to get away from using store bought juice. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete